Kampala City, the capital of Uganda, is located near the shores of Lake Victoria and is spread over of an area of 189 km2. It is only 40km away from Entebbe International Airport and is connected to all districts of Uganda and neighbouring countries by a network of roads.
History of the City
The area currently occupied by Kampala City was a favorite hunting ground for King Mutesa 1 with his palace at Banda Hill. The area then was made up of hills and wetlands which provided an ideal breeding ground for various wild animals including the antelope, the impala. The area then was commonly called the ‘hills of impala’ hence the origin of the name Kampala. The place started as an urban settlement in 1890 with Sir Fredrick Lugard setting up shops on Old Kampala Hill. Old Kampala became the administrative headquarters of the Imperial British East African Company (IBEAC) until IBEAC later reallocated to Entebbe.
Mayors of Kampala
The Mayors of Kampala since 1950 are as follows:
1950-1955- Sir Amar Maini
1955-1956- K.H Dale
1956-1958- C.Lewis C.B.E
1958-1959- C.E Develin
1961-1962- Mrs B.Saben
1962-1963- P.J Patel
1963-1965- P.N. Kavuma
1974-1978- Walusimbi Panga
1982-1986- Fred ssemaganda
1989-1997- Christopher Iga
1998- Ntege Nasser Ssebagala
1999-2006- John ssebaana Kizito
2006 to date Ntege Nasser Ssebagala
Population of Kampala
The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population of Kampala at 1.7 m in 2011.
Means of transport
Kampala is served by buses, minibuses, taxis and motorcycles as the common means of public transport.
In render better services, the city has been divided into the following administrative divisions:
- Kampala Central Division,
- Kawempe Division,
- Makindye Division,
- Nakawa Division and
- Rubaga Division.
Kampala a city on seven hills
Kampala is sometimes referred to as a City on Seven Hills as it was originally located on the following seven hills:
- Kasubi Hill where the Kasubi Tombs are located.
- Mengo Hill the seat of the Lubiri (Kabaka’s Palace) and the Lukiiko (Parliament ) of Parliament of Buganda
- Kibuli Hill is where the Kibuli Mosque is located.
- Namirembe Hill is a home of St Paul’s Cathedral Namirembe Anglican Cathedral and Mengo Hospital.
- Rubaga Hill is a home of St.Mary’s Cathedral ( Rubaga Cathedral) and Rubaga Hospital
- Nsambya Hill is where you the headquarters of the Mill Hill Mission, Nsambya Hospital and American Embassy.
- Old Kampala Hill where Old Kampala Mosque and Fort of Captain Lugard is found.
Over the last 25 years, Kampala has greatly expanded and swallowed many hills and suburbs.