Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) has announced that it is in the process of importing 400 buses from Tata Motors an Indian firm. The authority’s team of experts has already inspected the vehicles and negotiated the terms of supply. KCCA is moving into bus transport in partnership with experienced private sector operators. The buses are expected to start operating in June and will be managed through a firm on behalf of KCCA.
Terms of the operation
- They are expected to operate in the city’s five divisions
- The firms that will operate the buses will have to provide working contracts to its employees.
- All payments to the bus operators will be managed by KCCA
- Operators will be paid according to the routes they play and the number of trips they make
- KCCA has drafted three formats through which bus users will pay their fares
- KCCA expect to earn sh800 million daily on assumption that Kampala has a population of four million people.