The ministry is responsible for promoting and facilitating effective and efficient machinery capable of providing a legal framework for good governance and delivering legal advice and services to the Government, its allied institutions and the general public.
- Facilitating the development and enactment of appropriate legislation.
- Initiating and facilitating the revision and reform of the laws of Uganda and providing an effective mechanism for their change.
- Advising the government and its allied institutions on all legal matters.
- Drafting all proposed laws and legal documents.
- Instituting or defending civil suits in which Government and/or its allied institutions are party and ensuring that court decisions are satisfied.
- Overseeing the training of Lawyers.
- Promoting and fostering adherence to the rule of law and natural justice.
- Controlling legal practice in the country.
- Liaising and working with institutions which seek to eradicate corruption
Institutions/agencies under the ministry
- First Parliamentary Counsel (FPC)
- Law Council
- Civil Litigation
- Judicial Service Commission