Busoga University is a private (non-profit making) institution founded by the Church of Uganda under the Busoga Diocese. It is located 35km along Jinja-Iganga/Mbale Tororo highway and is situated in the Iganga Christian Missionary Society (CMS) Educational Village. The university has study centres in Jinja, Kamuli, Bugiri, Kaliro, Pallisa, as well as a Resource Centre in Iganga town. The university commenced operations in 1999 with 19 pioneer students, but the numbers have since grown to 1720 students as of 2011.
The university has four faculties, one institute and one school offering over 50 academic programmes both at undergraduate and postgraduate level. These include;
Faculty of Education, Arts and Vocational Studies
Faculty of Humanities, Business and Management
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Agriculture , Science and Technology
Institute of Health Sciences
School of Graduate Studies