Bugema University is located on a 640-acre piece of land in Luwero district, Bamunanika county, Kalagala sub-county. The institution started in 1948 as a training school for teachers and pastors for the Seventh-day Adventist Church in East Africa. By then it was called Bugema Missionary Training School. Later, the name changed to Bugema Missionary College and then to Bugema Adventist College.
In 1994, Bugema Adventist College changed its status from college to university, and in 1997, Bugema University was granted a license from the Ministry of Education and Sports to operate as a university offering Bachelor of Theology, BBA in Management and Accounting, and BA in Education with History, Religion, English and Literature as teaching subjects.
Due to continued interest shown by prospective students and sponsors in the academic programs offered by Bugema University, progressive steps were taken and the curricula expanded to meet the demands of the constituency. The University has since expanded on its curricula to over 40 academic programmes under the following four schools.
School of Business
School of Social Sciences
School of Education
School of Graduate Studies